Oh HELLO! Shannon here, just now getting on board here at the In The Now Blog. Took long enough, right?!
I’m so excited to begin sharing more about myself, my upcoming August wedding, academic english writing and all the great things going on at In The Now. I’ve been interning for In The Now since November, so i’m the baby of the group for sure! Let me bring you into my world for a minute with a random rundown! …and by random, I mean raaahh-nnndom.
1. KITTIES and TALKING ANIMALS. I love kitties, kittens, cats, felines, meow? Growing up my best friends were my two kitties, Smokey and Whitey (who wasn’t really that white, now that i think about it.) We just get along, cats and I. Will that make me a crazy old cat lady with a big hat? OH I HOPE SO. Related to kittens, I have a strange fascination with talking animals. They crack me up. I can’t get enough of em – movies, commercials, youtube videos… ok i’ll stop.
2. COFFEE. I love coffee. Its hard to start a day without a cup. Typical drink for me? Americano, one splenda. Iced or Hot, depends on the weather. No foofy drinks for me. I used to work at Starbucks where i swear they implant a chip in you that makes you addicted. Add living in rainy Seattle where life revolves around cafes and coffee shops and you get me. While Starbucks’ americano’s are predictably great, I do love non-chain coffee shops, and prefer them especially Dagney’s [Bakersfield], Bauhaus & Uptown Coffee [Seattle].
3. DESIGN. I have been a self-proclaimed graphic designer, interior designer, photographer and artist since I can remember. I taught myself how to use all the Adobe programs and use them on a daily basis. I’m currently working on designing and assembling the look and feel of our wedding invitations [mailing next week!], our blog, and day of graphical goodies. I think this is what i love most about weddings – the creative and effective design that infiltrates every aspect! [Need designs? TOTALLY :)] My family is also artistically inclined, as my father is a landscape architect [who can draw like no-one’s business] and my mother is just creative in everything, everything. You should see their home. :) I am also known to sit online and look at photos, save them, and get inspired for HOURS upon HOURS.
4. FOOD. I do like food. Besides coffee, i am most known to love beans, pretzels, chinese chicken salads and red candies. I hate LEMON ANYTHING. Growing up basically in a citrus orchard [The Ranch], hating lemons as shunned me from my families love of lemon meringue pie and lemon-aid. I don’t like avocados either. Double whammy against The Ranch. Sorry Grandma and Grandpa.
5. MUSIC. I consider myself a music enthusiast as I am totally into all different types of music and probably listen to it for most of the day. I grew up listening to Christian music, yup, I loved the Newsboys. I’m not afraid to admit it as it brought me to where I am today! But thankfully, I have branched out from my sheltered ways and “saw the light” as Scott says. Lately, I’ve been jamming to the new mewithoutYou and Ben Kweller [both of who we are seeing soon!], and as always – Minus The Bear, Sebastien Grainger, The Strokes, and Ryan Adams among others. Who are you listening to right now?
6. SUNFLOWERS. Favorite flower ever. EVER! My grandmother used to have sunflowers all over her house, so I guess my love of the pretty flowers came from her. Something about them is so fresh and clean. Be warned, they’ll be ALL over my wedding, as well as in my apartment and even tattooed on my foot. Yeah, i like sunflowers. I also just love all other flowers too. I’m not totally biased. Peonies? COME ON.
7. MOVIES & SHOWS. My favorite film of all time is That Thing You Do. I remember seeing it for the first time back in like 5th grade, buying the soundtrack and falling in love with all the characters. It’s such a quotable movie and so easy to use in everyday conversation. My favorite TV show has to be Arrested Development. Scott and I have Arrested Development Thursdays, want to join? Done with the seasons? WATCH IT OVER AGAIN! I also love Dexter, The Office, HOUSE, and any trash on Bravo [weakness!].
8. HAIR. I am a proud un-natural redhead of 3 years. Thanks to the greatest Angi Bane [who also does Amanda’s mermaid hair], my red hair has become a sort of trademark of sorts that is always out of control. Naturally, I am a dirty dark blonde, but that girl hasn’t been around since age 16. From that I went to dark brown, to black, to red, to dark brown, to the present red-ness.
9. FAMILY. I have the greatest family. They are my rock and have always been there for me through every phase of my crazy life. What I love most about them is their love and support for each other as well as their solid faith in Christ. They’re also really funny. Like really funny. What’s also incredible is that they love my fiance, Scott, so much that seeing me isn’t enough. “Where’s Scott? Why didn’t you bring him?” is commonly asked of me, and I love it.
10. SCOTT. I’ve mentioned him a few times, but this man is my best friend and future husband. Never have I met a more funny, talented, grounded, bearded, strong, and all around amazing guy… and he’s all mine! We met through a mutual friend back in 2007 and he just swept me off my feet soon afterwards. I mean, he moved all the way to Seattle for me! We will be getting married on August 21, 2009 at my grandparent’s ranch. Expect a blog series dedicated to our fabulous day, full of fun and In The Now goodness.
I hope you enjoyed my random [or not so random] rundown. Maybe it made you giggle a little? Hopefully! Expect more from me, especially with a citrus, apple colored, great orchard style wedding coming oh so soon. Take Care!